From Aparna’s Kitchen:
Tomatoes are valuable source of Minerals & Vitamins, like C, A etc.
Tomatoes not only taste good but are also very good for health. They have a good amount of antioxidants too. About Spinach we all know it is a store house of Iron and different Vitamins. Adding Vitamin C (lemon, yogurt etc) in any Iron rich recipe increases the Iron absorption in the body.
As a child I still remember my mom encouraging me to add lemon or yogurt in Beetroot, tomatoes, spinach, pumpkin recipes. Being a science teacher and a Naturopathy Doctor my mom could explain me the importance of Iron, vitamins and other nutrients required for our body. In fact eating lemon, buttermilk & salad was compulsory in our house.
With this simple and easy to make Tomato-Spinach Raita I am sharing my Mom’s cooking wisdom with you. I will share her other healthy recipes in the future too. Make this nutritious Raita at home and enjoy.
Ingredients (For Four)
2, Big Tomatoes, finely chopped
1/2 cup finely chopped spinach
3,4 Garlic cloves finely chopped.
1, small cut Green chilli/Chilli powder (optional)
3 tsp peanut powder/ sesame powder (optional)
1/2 cup yogurt
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 tsp cooking oil
1/2 tsp mustard seeds
pinch of Hing(Asafoetida)
pinch of Turmeric
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp sugar(optional)
How to proceed
1. Mix chopped Tomatoes, Spinach in a bowl
2. Add yogurt and peanut powder, mix well
3. Add salt, sugar and mix well
4. Heat oil in a small pan & add mustard seeds and allow to splutter
6. Add chilli and then garlic
7. Add hing, sesame seeds & turmeric powder
8. Pour this seasoning on the top of the yogurt-tomato mixture
9. Mix well
10. Colourful, healthy raita is ready , Enjoy it with Chapati, pratha, puri or Rice